Celebrating 2 years of
Women in Jazz Media
To demonstrate the power of a female collective and what can be achieved when you set your mind to it - here are some of the projects we have completed in just 2 years.
- Through all of our social media platforms, publications, events and partners we have given platforms to more than 7000 women.
- Provided a platform for female authors across the world through our "On The Bookcase" features, showcasing 75 books written by women.
- Provided first performance platform for J Steps, the brilliant initiative led by Hannah Horton.
- The Women in Jazz Media Playlists: 19 playlists so far platforming 270 female instrumentalists, vocalists and composers from around the world. New releases, legacy artists, new and established artists and also some women we think you should know about but maybe don't!
- Published 5 magazines with our 6th one out Dec 2022.
- Showcased the work of unsung legends such as Tiny Davis, Maxine Sullivan, Shirley Scott, Melba Liston, Velma Middleton and more.
- Hosted events at the Vortex, Jazz Café Posk, Toulouse Lautrec and the EFG London Jazz Festival.
- Launched a monthly residency programme at Jazz Café Posk, London.
- Created five podcast series with a range of inspirational guests and guest hosts:
- "In Conversation With..." speaking to a wide range of women working in jazz, with 19 episodes so far!
- "On The Bookcase" focussing on female authors from across the world.
- "Knocking Down The Door" platforming inspirational black women in music in partnership with Black Lives in Music and Celine Peterson.
- "Sticks and Thrones" hosted by Mexico's Woman of the year, Migdalia Van Der Hoven, platforming female drummers.
- "The Notes In Between" hosted by Lara Eidi, exploring the world of songwriting.
- Our podcasts are now at number 9 in top 60 Jazz Podcasts in FeedSpot.
- 72 articles published on our Jazz in Europe column, all written by women.
- Launched a new series on Jazz In Europe platforming new releases - "Something New with Esther Bennett".
- Launched a new behind the scenes series exploring writers with Isabel Marquez - "Behind The Pen: A Writers Journey"
Work and education
- Provided paid employment opportunities for 120 women.
- Supported the development of the level 4 and 5 (degree level) Higher National in Journalism and Higher National in Photography for Pearson, the world's leading learning company, which operates in 70 countries around the world.
- Provided work experience placements in sound engineering, marketing, publishing and writing.
- Created the Girls in Jazz Media initiative to raise awareness of media roles for girls between the age of 8 and 15, working with the award winning Jazz Camp for Girls. This included workshops in Podcasting, Photography and Writing as well as an online resource booklet.
- "More Than A Few of Us" a new mentoring scheme for black writers supported by Black Lives in Music. Inspired by Willard Jenkins book 'Ain't But a Few of Us' with mentors including the inspirational Willard Jenkins and Jordannah Elizabeth.
- Mentoring scheme for writers.
Changing the landscape
- Facilitated the inclusion of the first two female photographers in the National jazz Archive - Monika S.Jakubowska and Tatiana Gorilovsky.
- Increased the gender and diversity balance in some of our partner publications (Jazz Views, Kind of Jazz and Jazz in Europe).
- Won the Jazz Media Parliamentary Award in 2021.
- Nominated twice for the National Diversity Community Organisation Award for Gender.
- Shortlisted for the International Women's Podcast Award 2021.
We are all hugely grateful for everyone's support over the past year and we are really excited about the future!
We are a not for profit volunteered based organisation. Any money we raise is used to support the work we do including events, publications, podcast, mentoring schemes and general admin costs.